Abortion (Termination of Pregnancy)
Medical termination (Pills) and surgical termination are both offered in the NT.
If you decide to have an abortion remember, the earlier you seek assistance the more choices you will have.
Family Planning clinics in Coconut Grove and Palmerston can help and support you when you find yourself with an unplanned pregnancy.
Ring Family Planniing NT today # (08) 89 480144 and press OPTION 2 to speak to our nurse. The cost of a Medical Abortion is free if you hold an Australian Medicare Card. Charges do apply if you do not.
Medical Termination of Pregnancy Changes in the NT March 2017 Update.
In March 2017, the NT Government passed key legislative changes to pregnancy choices. Some of those changes listed below mean, NT women will now have the same rights to pregnancy choices as other Australian women.
- Terminations of pregnancy may be lawfully performed (or directed to be performed) by a ‘suitably qualified medical practitioner’ (criminal sanctions apply if a termination of pregnancy is performed by an unqualified person).
- Terminations of pregnancy may be performed within or out of a hospital setting.
- One suitably qualified medical practitioner is required to assess a woman whose pregnancy is not more than14 weeks. Two suitably qualified medical practitioners are required to assess a woman whose pregnancy is 14 weeks or more, but not more than 23 weeks.
- A medical or health practitioner who holds a conscientious objection to terminate pregnancy is required to inform the woman of this and refer her to another medical practitioner who does not have a conscientious objection within a reasonable period (i.e. 2 days).
- The Act creates ’safe access zones’ around premises where terminations of pregnancy are performed or where termination services are provided. Conduct which intimidates, harasses, inhibits or deters access is prohibited within the safe access zone.